Original use: Ship assist and barge work in the distribution of oil.
Current use: Museum and maritime training school
Built: 1907 at Skinner Shipbuilding, Baltimore.
Dimensions: 103' X 24' X 12'.
Displacement: 300 tons
Construction: Riveted steel
Speed: 11knots, light.
Original power:650HP compound steam engine.
Current power: Single 900 HP GM Diesel
History: One of four sister tugs, she was designed to serve waterside refineries and terminals of Standard Oil. For the first decade of her career, she moved sailing ships carrying kerosene in cans packed for shipment to the Far East out of New York cans packed for shipment to the Far East out of New York and Philadelphia. Nicknamed "battleship tugs" because of their size and power, her a compound steam engine was rated at 650 horsepower. Sold to McAllister in 1953, she was converted to Diesel and came out as John E. McAllister. Hepburn Marine bought her in 1987. Renamed Pegasus she was towed oil barges, railroad car-floats, and did other transport work. Retired in 1997 after a remarkably long career, she is currently being restored and serving as a training vessel and museum.
Status: Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Skipper: Captain Pamela Hepburn